Summary of the Improvement Activities (IA) Performance Category
- Minimum of one Improvement Activity out of the 90+ proposed activities to be selected
- Activities are weighted as "high" (20 points) or "medium" (10 points)
- A full score in the Improvement performance category is 40 points (or 20 for small or rural practices)
- Proposed Improvement Activities are now available
Improvement Activities Data Submission
An organization may choose to submit measure data to CMS as an individual or as a group through any the options below.
CMS Web Interface
IA Performance Category Scoring
- Worth 15% of total MIPS CPS
- Most Improvement Activities are medium-weight activities, and are worth 10 points.
- There are a few high-weight improvement activities, and those will be worth 20 points.
- You can use any combination of medium and high weight activities.
Improvement Activities Performance Category Exemptions
- Non-patient facing eligible clinicians and groups, practices of 15 or fewer professionals, practices and located in rural areas and geographic health professional shortage areas can report two medium weight activities or one high weight activity to achieve the full 40 points.
- Certified patient-centered medical homes, comparable specialty practices, or Medical Homes receive full credit in this category automatically.
- APMs automatically receive 20 points (half the highest potential score) for this category.
Stay up to date with the latest news regarding MACRA and MIPS.
The Healthmonix Advisor is a free weekly news source, connecting you to the latest updates in the value-based care industry.
Medicare Program; Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) and Alternative Payment Model (APM) Proposed Rule, 42 CFR § 414 (2016).
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. (2016). Clinical Practice Improvement Activities Performance Category [PowerPoint slides]. Retrieved from https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/Value-Based-Programs/MACRA-MIPS-and-APMs/CPIA-Performance-Category-slide-deck.pdf